The art of science. The science of performance. The performance of literature. The literature of art.
These are some ways that SUNY Purchase integrates the arts. With 4,000 undergraduate students and a reputation as an arts university, the State University of New York (SUNY) at Purchase lives up to its motto, “Think Wide Open.” As we toured the campus, we witnessed that motto come to life.
- Forty-seven majors
- Thirty-two minors
- Four graduate majors, plus artist diplomas and performers certificates
Forty percent of undergraduates graduate with a degree from the School of Arts. Purchase offers BFA conservatory programs in dance, music, theatre arts, the School of Art and Design, and film. They are well known for their BFA programs and have amazing facilities and faculty to support the arts.
Before they graduate, all students complete an honors-level senior project. For instance, in the film school, a student might switch from writing a thesis to creating an original screenplay or movie.
This finished, polished product shows students that they are capable of conducting research or launching a business. A Purchase student founded the airport shuttle service known as Park to Fly. 92% of Purchase graduates are working full time or in graduate school The faculty to student average at Purchase College is 13. 5:1.
Making art, filming, writing, and getting loud. Purchase students love their traditions- and who wouldn’t? Each semester, the night before finals begin, college faculty and staff stay late on campus to serve breakfast to hungry, cramming, stressed-out students during Pancake Madness.
Fall Ball, a major drag competition, has organizers bringing in some of the best guest drag artists in the nation while students spend months perfecting their acts. Culture Shock, a student-run (and school-supported) festival, is unmatched among college music festivals. Of course, students dress up as zombies for Zombie Prom to enjoy the DJ and live music at this massive event.
86% of freshmen and 70% of all students live on campus, and community engagement is big Students we spoke to described staying in hostels, stocking food pantries with bags, and painting homes in the affected areas to aid those affected by the natural disasters in Puerto Rico.
There is always something going on at SUNY Purchase for students, whether it be participation in one of the 30 clubs and organizations, performances at the PAC, or sports in the NCAA Division III Skyline Conference.
Diverse, Creative, Artsy, Edgy, Inclusive, Low-key, Non-judgmental.
Eighty two percent of the students are from New York; the remaining ones are from 40 other states and 30 other countries. Most out-of-state students are in conservatory programs. Access to higher education is prioritized at Purchase College, and diversity is welcomed.
The LGBQ friendly campus is 34% first-generation college students and 25% Hispanic or LatinX
To assist with social and academic support, the Cornerstone Program pairs Purchase students with peers who have autism. Admission to this program is subject to a separate application process.
We met Angela while we were there, and she talked to us about the internship she had her first year. She acquired event planning skills and now books performances for students on campus, identifies artists, and oversees events. She is also a member of the Purchase Student Government.
Quinn, a different student who studies digital editing, worked as an intern for the Buffalo Bills and gained experience editing game-day footage and releasing it in real-time.
SUNY Purchase, situated in the picturesque Hudson Valley and only 35 minutes by train from Manhattan, is a 500-acre protected expanse of forest, fields, and wildlife.
Admissions and Financial Aid
Students can use the Common or SUNY Application to apply to SUNY Purchase. The incoming class’s average high school GPA is 88. 3, and 70% had a combined SAT score of 1000 or higher The most recent average was 1160. Purchase college has a 43% acceptance rate.
For programs like acting, film, and music, interviews and portfolio reviews are a part of their unique application processes and are only available by invitation.
- Theatre Design/Technology requires an interview of all applicants.
- Students studying film and music must first submit a portfolio or video to Slideroom; if chosen, they will be asked to appear for an in-person interview or audition. An emphasis is placed on writing and directing. Admissions is looking for applicants who can tell a story.
- Students in acting and dance must submit a Slideroom entry in addition to appearing at an audition. For Acting, two monologues in contrasting styles are suggested. Twenty students are admitted and diversity is considered.
- A writing portfolio (either poetry or fiction) must be submitted in Slideroom by creative writing students.
- Art + Design students need to make a portfolio submission.
- When a student is accepted into EOP, they must attend an in-person interview.
Applicants can select a first choice and second choice major. As a result, two distinct applications are created, and students will receive decisions for each. Think Wide Open should be applied to all artistic submissions.
According to an agreement between SUNY Upstate Medical University College of Medicine and Purchase College, admitted Purchase students pursuing any degree (BA, BS, BM, or BFA) are assured admission to Upstate’s Doctor of Medicine (MD) Program if they meet the following eligibility criteria:
- An excellent high school GPA with a 90% average minimum
- Extracurricular activities that demonstrate a commitment to volunteer work and some experience in a healthcare environment
- SAT combined math and reading scores of 1360 or higher, or an ACT composite score of 29 or higher Although Purchase is test optional.
- Completion of graduation requirements for the specific degree program
- completing the following prerequisite courses with a grade of at least a B: Biology 1 and 2, General Chemistry 1 and 2, Organic Chemistry 1, General Physics 1 and 2, including labs for all listed courses, Biochemistry, and Statistics.
- maintain a minimum 12-credit course load each semester.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher
- 40 hours of volunteer work completed and documented while a undergraduate
For those who are accepted into the program, the MCAT requirement for admission to Upstate is waived.
Financial aid is provided for all SUNY programs on a case-by-case basis using federal, state, institutional, and private funds.
The students at Purchase College are creative and open-minded. Purchase College is a hands-on, community-focused institution. This beautiful campus is the perfect size and has a friendly, collaborative atmosphere.
15 Things You Should Know About SUNY PURCHASE
Is SUNY Purchase a good school for acting?
Purchase is one of only a few colleges in the world that can train artists at this level and draw faculty from the ranks of professional theatre. Purchase is one of five schools in the Consortium of Professional Theatre Training Programs.
What is the acceptance rate at SUNY Purchase?
On a suburban campus in Purchase, New York, there is a small public university called SUNY College at Purchase. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 3,600, and admissions are selective, with an acceptance rate of 74%
Do you have to audition for SUNY purchase?
For all of our visual and performing arts programs, we require auditions and portfolios. Talent evaluations play a crucial role in both our selection process and the scholarship consideration process. While we assess your strengths and potential for thriving in our dynamic and demanding programs, you demonstrate your talent.
Does SUNY Purchase have musical theater?
The BA in Theatre and Performance produces an exciting theater season that includes professionally directed Mainstage productions that concentrate on fresh and cutting-edge plays as well as student-created works that range from devised ensemble pieces to solo performances to reinterpretations of timeless works.