Please use a supported browser to enjoy the best possible user experience. Here are a few we recommend:
Update my information Admissions officers are waiting to hear from you if you are interested in attending Purdue University.
College of Science is situated in a suburban area in West Lafayette, Indiana.
Other Colleges to Consider
The following blogs might also be interesting to many students applying to Purdue University:
Let’s start by looking at the most recent admissions information.
Purdue University: Acceptance Rate – Class of 2025
10,191 students were selected from 59,173 applicants to make up the first-year class for 2021–2022. But Purdue hasn’t yet made the class of 2025’s official acceptance rate public.
The Class of 2024 saw a 67% acceptance rate with in-state applicants enjoying a five point advantage in the admissions process The Class of 2023 acceptance rate was a more selective 60%
The academic requirements for admission to the various colleges at Purdue University, however, differ significantly. Even though the school withholds precise figures for acceptance rates by colleges, we do know the following about their more demanding programs:
Purdue College of Engineering
- The average accepted engineering applicant has an unweighted 3.82 GPA.
- An accepted engineering student’s average SAT score is over 1430; their ACT average is a 32.
- A couple of years ago, the reported acceptance rate for engineering applicants was around 40%; this is likely lower in 2022
- While the school doesn%E2%80%99t offer any official figures, the CS acceptance rate is believed to be as low as a touch under 10% or as high as 15%, depending on the year
- As computer science has become Purdue’s most popular major, the number of accepted internal CS transfer applicants has decreased every year.
Purdue Admissions – SAT, ACT, GPA, and Class Rank
Among those enrolled in the Class of 2025, the mid-50% GPA was 3 5-3. 9, the SAT’s 1190–1410 range, and the ACT’s 26–33 range. The previous year, 48% were in the top decile of their high school class, 79% were in the top quartile, and 97% were in the top half
Admissions Trends & Notes – Class of 2025
- For students applying for the 2023–24 academic year, Purdue is test-flexible. Although they acknowledge that not everyone will be able to take the SAT or ACT, they prefer that applicants do so.
- 4,647 residents of Indiana will be enrolled in the Class of 2025, an increase from 4,418 the year before.
- 4,643 out-of-state students will be enrolled in the Class of 2025, up from 3,643 the previous year.
- From 57,279 for the Class of 2024 to 59,173 for the Class of 2025, more applications were submitted overall.
- More than 750 foreign students enrolled at Purdue as freshmen in 2021–2022.
Who Gets Into Purdue University—West Lafayette?
Let’s look at the demographics of Purdue undergraduates:
Members of the Purdue Class of 2025 came from Indiana and other states in roughly equal numbers. S. :
- From Indiana: 4,511
- Out-of-State: 4,827
The breakdown of the current undergraduate student body at Boilermaker University’s ethnic composition is as follows:
- Asian American: 11%
- Hispanic: 6%
- African American: 3%
- International: 12%
- White: 63%
- Two or more races: 4%
There are 115 countries represented among the international students, with the following countries having the largest representation:
The gender distribution of the Class of 2025 reveals a higher proportion of male students:
Female applicants do have an advantage during the admissions process at Purdue because there are so many more male students there. For the Class of 2024 applicants, women were admitted at a 74% clip compared to a 63% figure for men
Purdue’s Yield Rate
Purdue%E2%80%99s yield rate%E2%80%94the percentage of accepted students who elect to enroll, divided by the total number of students who are admitted was 23% for the Class of 2024 This is lower than some other popular public institutions, UT-Austin has a 46% yield, Georgia Tech comes in at 38%, and Ohio State%E2%80%99s is 30%
How Purdue Rates Applicants
- The GPA, standardized test scores, and the rigorousness of an applicant’s secondary school record are the only three elements Purdue rates as being “very important” to their admissions process. There are five elements deemed “important” by Purdue in its evaluation process. They are: character/personal qualities, extracurricular activities, first-generation status, recommendations, essays, and extracurricular activities.
In the admissions office’s own words:
- Admission to Purdue is determined by a comprehensive assessment of each student’s application in the context of the overall applicant pool for a particular Purdue college or specific major. For instance, because nursing is a small program with a large applicant pool, admission is very competitive. ”.
- %E2%80%9CYou can use our Freshman Class Profile Page to see %E2%80%9Cmiddle 50%%E2%80%9D ranges for GPAs and SAT or ACT tests However, these ranges represent the entire freshman class %E2%80%93 the middle 50% for individual majors may be higher or lower based on space availability or the rigor of the program%E2%80%99s curriculum ”.
Tips for Applying to Purdue University—West Lafayette
If you intend to be one of the 59,000 prospective Boilermakers for the upcoming admissions cycle, you should be aware of the following:
- Purdue does not offer interviews. Consequently, using your essays and recommendations to personalize the admissions process is the best option.
- Purdue considers “demonstrated interest” in the admissions process. This means that visiting campus, interacting on social media, emailing an admissions officer, etc. could give you an advantage.
- To meet the Early Action Deadline, submit your application by November 1st. The Regular Decision deadline is January 15.
- Make sure to give the (maximum of) three short answer questions you might have to respond to enough time and attention. They are as follows:
- What opportunities are available at Purdue that will support your interests both inside and outside of the classroom? (100 words)
- Explain why you chose the major you did in a few sentences. (100 words).
- Describe one of your extracurricular activities or professional experiences in brief detail. (250 words).
Should I Apply to Purdue University?
In a demanding high school program, Purdue students typically maintain A- or B averages, and their average standardized test scores are higher than the 90th percentile of all test takers. Nearly all A’s and standardized test results above the 95th percentile are advised for prospective engineering/CS students.
Every high school student planning to attend college should create a list of suitable colleges that includes both “target” and “safety” schools. This can be accomplished with the assistance of an admissions specialist who is knowledgeable about the most recent developments and tactics utilized by the colleges you are considering.
Watch Me Get Rejected from my dream schools! // Indian Realistic College Decision Reaction // 2021
Is Purdue College of Science hard to get into?
Although Purdue University is a prestigious public university and does not belong to the Ivy League, it offers an education that is on par with that offered by Ivy League schools.
Is Purdue a good school for science?
In addition to conducting ground-breaking research, about 350 tenure-track faculty also provide 5200 undergraduates and nearly 1500 graduate students with transformative education.