Our 76-acre campus and cutting-edge academic, athletic, and artistic facilities at Punahou School offer unmatched resources and venues so that our students have the means and the places to explore any interest and pursue any passion.
Our innovative electives, clubs, and countless opportunities in athletics, art, music, theater, and more, along with college-preparatory courses, greatly enhance our students’ educational experiences and help them become well-rounded future leaders.
Our students are taught by experienced, dedicated and enthusiastic faculty. Punahou educators go above and beyond to deliver lessons in creative and interesting ways.
Punahou graduates have traveled the world for generations to pursue successful careers in a variety of fields, including business, medicine, technology, government, social services, the arts, athletics, and more. At Punahou, students acquire the abilities, expertise, vision, and mindset necessary to thrive as the next generation of leaders ready to transform the world.
Using data and millions of student and parent opinions, Niche ranks close to 100,000 schools and districts.
Student BodyTotal Students3,751 studentsStudent Body TypeCo-ed% Students of Color67%State avg.: 72%Students by Grade
- Punahou School has been educating students to become the next generation of leaders and innovators for almost 180 years. From kindergarten through grade 12, we encourage students to pursue their academic and extracurricular interests, reach their full potential, and make a positive contribution to society. With over 3,700 students enrolled, we are one of the largest independent schools in the nation and promote a lifetime of well-rounded education.
- Dedicated Teachers
- Our teachers and administrators stand out not only for their training and expertise, but also for their commitment to the students and the School. The Punahou community, which consists of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and others, has long been a driving force, bound by their support for the School.
- Innovative Learning Environments
- Punahou has recently rebuilt or renovated a sizable portion of its campus to provide state-of-the-art, reimagined learning environments. These well-thought-out, technologically cutting-edge, and highly sustainable buildings provide indoor and outdoor spaces that let students develop the abilities they need to succeed in the twenty-first century.
- Preparing Students for a Changing World
- Punahou’s main goal is to develop students into knowledgeable, competent, and kind individuals who can succeed in college and eventually make a positive contribution to society. While Punahou continues to be dedicated to its longstanding excellence in core subjects like math, English, and science, the school also helps students at all grade levels become adaptable, creative, collaborative, and innovative in order to better prepare them for the changing world and future careers.
- To find out more about our community and programs, please click here.
Frequently Asked QuestionsHow much does Punahou School cost?
Punahou Schools tuition is approximately $27,716 for private students. What sports does Punahou School offer?.
Baseball, basketball, bowling, cheerleading, cross country, diving, football, golf, kayaking, riflery, sailing, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track and field, volleyball, water polo, and wrestling are among the 19 interscholastic sports available at Punahou School. Punahou School is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in Hawaii for most sports offered What is Punahou Schools ranking?.
The application deadline for Punahou School is Oct. 15 / Oct. 31.
View the Punahou School yearly calendar below. Note key dates such as:EventDateSpring BreakMarch 13, 2023 (Monday)
Related Schools Show me:People that viewed Punahou School also viewed these schools:
Add to Compare (3)
Endorse Punahou School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
I am a: Name or Alias: Your review:Endorse this school:
- Top Ranked HI School
- Grades: Kindergarten-12
- Enrollment: 3,751 students
- Yearly Tuition: $27,716
- Application Deadline: Oct. 15 / Oct. 31
- Source: Verified school update
Request InformationEmail: Name of parent: Student first name: Student last name: Student date of birth: Student is:MaleFemale Currently in grade: Seeking entry for grade: Target start date: Please briefly describe academic, athletic, and extracurricular interests of the student: Home address: City: Country: State: Zip: (enter “N/A” if not applicable)Phone:
Punahou’s Academy Experience
Is it hard to get into Punahou?
Punahou is somewhat difficult to get into (by the way, they used to be called Oahu College). If you don’t start in kindergarten, getting accepted requires a lot of testing. Additionally, it is quite expensive, with basic tuition costing well over $20,000 per year. If you add optional classes, like ballet, the cost only increases.
Where does Punahou rank nationally?
Hawaii’s first-largest private high school, Punahou School, is also the eighth-largest in the nation. It has a student teacher ratio of 13. 0 to 1. Punahou School Enrollment, Ranking, and Statistics. CategoryValue9400104001140012400.
What is the best private school in Hawaii?
- ‘Iolani School – Honolulu.
- Punahou School – Honolulu.
- Hawaii Preparatory Academy – Kamuela.
- Asia Pacific International School – Hauula.
- Le Jardin Academy – Kailua.
- St. Andrew’s Schools – Honolulu.
- Seabury Hall – Makawao.
- Island School – Lihue.
Is Punahou or Iolani better?
Iolani has a smaller campus, and Punahou is enormous. Iolani students, in my experience, tend to be more academically focused and disciplined, while Punahou students tend to be more free-spirited. Iolani promotes moral restraint and respect, and I’m not sure where Punahou stands on these issues.