Prerequisites and technical standards
All Ph. D. Program candidates must fulfill the following requirements for eligibility:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution is required, preferably in the biological or physical sciences.
- A cumulative GPA of 3. 0 on a 4. 0 scale is necessary.
- Certification of the degree is required
Suggested undergraduate coursework:
- It is strongly advised that applicants have one year of coursework under their belts and have proven proficiency in biology, chemistry, physics, and calculus (B average or higher).
- It is recommended that students take more classes in physiology, cell biology, molecular biology, and biochemistry.
- It is recommended for candidates for the Biomedical Engineering and Physiology Track to have taken courses in quantitative engineering and science (such as instrumentation, computer science, and signal processing).
Please be aware that the Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences does not offer undergraduate courses.
All students must meet the following non-academic requirements (technical standards), with or without a reasonable accommodation, in order to enroll in the graduate education program:
- Able to participate actively in all aspects of laboratory experimentation. Observation and information acquisition requires functional auditory and somatic sensation.
- able to communicate in English with the scientific community about your discoveries Required communication skills include speaking, reading, and writing. If English is not your first language, you must attest to your English language ability when submitting your application. The TOEFL or IELTS exam taken within the previous three years is one of six accepted methods to prove English language proficiency. a certified letter from a university or English language school that has received IALC or other recognized organization’s global recognition The letter, which dates from within the last two years, includes the prospective student’s enrollment dates at the institution or school. The letter confirms that the student attained at least intermediate level proficiency in speaking and listening in English, which is equal to a B-2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Language, or CEFR. An Anguilla, Antigua, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada (except Quebec), Dominica, Gambia, Grand Cayman Islands, Grenada, Guyana, Irish Republic, Jamaica, Kenya, Micronesia, Montserrat, New Zealand, Nigeria, Philippines, Saint Kitts and Nevis native English speaker. Lucia, St. Turks and Caicos, Tobago, Trinidad, Tanzania, Vincent and the Grenadines S. university. attended a foreign university where English was the language of instruction A Ph. D. The program director conducted an English-language interview and can vouch for the applicant’s language proficiency.
- Have sufficient motor function to perform lab experiments.
- Able to measure, calculate, reason, analyze, and synthesize.
A center of excellence for developing a diverse biomedical research workforce is the Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
How to apply
Please only submit an application for one primary track of interest per admission cycle. The deadline for submitting your application and all required supporting documents is September 1-Dec. 1, including letters of recommendation.
Complete the following steps to apply:
- Create an account to begin the online Application for Admission
- Complete each section of the application and submit
- After submission, view the required Supplemental Items and Documents
- Upload each required item in the Supplemental Items section
- Complete the Recommendation Request section
Additional required items
- The following information should be included in your personal statement and uploaded to the Supplemental Items section:
- List your prior research experiences in a timeline, describing your involvement in each project. Please upload the first two pages of each publication, which should contain the abstract and introduction section, along with your personal statement if any of your research experience(s) have resulted in publications. (Note: Publications will be uploaded with your personal statement. ).
- List your most satisfying research project and explain why it satisfied you.
- Summarize your current scientific interests and career goals.
- Provide a detailed response to the inquiry, “Why do you want to be a biomedical scientist?”
- Two to four pages, single-spaced, or three to five pages, double-spaced, should make up your personal statement.
- For application purposes, unofficial transcripts of grades from each college or university attended may be uploaded in the Supplemental Items section. If accepted to the program, official transcripts will be requested.
- The Recommendation Request section must contain three letters of recommendation, including one from a research mentor. An email with a link to complete a rating form and upload a letter will be sent to each recommender.
The most qualified applicants are invited to interview. Mayo Clinic welcomes applications from diverse learners.
Why I QUIT Mayo Clinic – PhD Scientist (Top 5 Reasons)
Is it hard to get into Mayo Clinic medical school?
Admissions and acceptance data for 2022 The Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine’s acceptance rate for incoming students in 2022 was 4 percent. 5%. After receiving 5,068 applications, we were able to accept 224 students into one of our programs.
What is the acceptance rate for Mayo Clinic Medical School?
D. Program overview. You’ll find a distinctive research training environment of academic inquiry and scientific discovery at the Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, along with first-rate intellectual and technological resources aimed at assisting you in realizing your most ambitious scientific career goals.
Does Mayo Clinic have Phd programs?
Mayo Clinic welcomes applications from diverse learners. How to ApplyCreate a profile to start the online Admission Application. Complete each section of the application and submit. After submission, view the required Supplemental Items and Documents.