Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, also known as Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, is a public research university in Germany. LUM Munich was established by the University of Oxford as a part of the Europaeum, an association of 17 top universities in Europe, and is renowned for its international ties. Additionally, the university is a founding member of the European University Association (EUA), which speaks for over 800 universities and National Rectors Conferences in 48 different European nations.
Through the university’s global networks and connections, professors and researchers at LMU have been traveling across borders to conduct research, study, and teach. Since maintaining cooperation agreements for years, LMU has established over 600 international partner universities.
LMU Munich has more than 53,000 domestic and international students and 787 award-winning professors on its faculty. The remaining 5,691 full-time academic staff members and 9,127 non-academic staff members are recognized researchers and scientists in a variety of fields.
LUM Munich offers teacher training programs in 100 major and 140 supplemental subjects in addition to more than 300 degree programs in various combinations. As a result, the university offers its students developmental opportunities by:
LMU Munich operates a number of research centers that collaborate on cross-faculty and transdisciplinary projects to improve its teaching methodologies and enhance academic programs.
It is well known that the research and experiments carried out in the university’s laboratories, lecture halls, and libraries have benefited from a variety of approaches and global perspectives. According to LUM Munich, sponsored research totaling EUR 312 million was carried out in 2019.
Top Reasons to Study in the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- For the past three years, LMU Munich has consistently been ranked among the top 100 universities worldwide by a variety of organizations, including QS ranking, THE, etc.
- LMU Munich, one of the top universities in Germany, has more than 9000 students enrolled in its courses from 140 different countries. LMU international students have 15% representation at campus.
- The SIST LMU Study Scholarship, SIST LMU Study Completion Scholarship, ALMU Nothilfe Awarded, BESUD Scholarship, and Oskar Karl Forster Scholarship are among the scholarships offered by Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich to international students.
Cost of Studying at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
More rankings for this university
One of Germany’s top universities for international students is the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich. This institution offers excellent academic programs as well as fantastic job and educational opportunities. Listed following are its top national and international rankings by a number of reputable platforms.
- As per the QS World University Rankings 2023, the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich ranks #59 among the other 1,500 global institutions. Further, these universities are from Europe, Asia, and North America. These rankings are determined by factors including academic reputation, number of international students enrolled, employer reputation, faculty-student ratio, number of international faculty members, etc.
- As per the QS World University Ranking by Subject 2022, the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich ranking is #40.
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich QS Graduate Employability Ranking 2022 is #131-140. This ranking shows the university’s capacity to produce graduates with the soft skills necessary for the contemporary workplace.
- According to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023, the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich ranked #33 among the other 1,799 global universities to receive a rank. This ranking is done under 104 regions and countries. Additionally, this ranking is determined by performance in four key areas: teaching, research, knowledge transfer, and international outlook.
- As per Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings 2022, the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich ranked #49.
- As per the Times Higher Education European Teaching Rankings 2019, the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich ranking is #51-75.
Admissions at The Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- Download application from the official website
- Attach requested document
- Submit application to Ludwig Maximilian University At the international office.
- Wait for an acceptance letter.
Note: For some Master’s programs, applicants must submit their applications to both the international office and the specific graduate department. However, under certain exceptional circumstances, students are required to register with the Office of the University Registrar or the Foundation for University Admission.
Documents Required to Apply to Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- German Language Proficiency Proof
- English Proficiency Proof
- original high school diplomas, university degrees, and certified translations of those documents
- Documentation of financial support
- Visa Approval
- Official passport photocopy
- Application form .
- Updated Resume
Exams Accepted By the University
German language proficiency and English language proficiency scores are required for admission to Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, whether the examination is in English or German.
English Proficiency Requirements
Students at LMU Munich must demonstrate their language proficiency in order to enroll in courses taught in English. Some of the accepted exams are as follows:
Know universities that fit you best!
Give us a look at your profile, preferred courses, strengths, and weaknesses, and we’ll immediately find universities that are a perfect fit for you!
Courses Find the updated list of courses available in this university
Ask, post and discuss!
Have a question? Ask and discuss with your fellow aspirants!
8 months ago LMU data science application
Anyone who received admission to Potsdam, Münster, Mannheim, or LMU four years ago?
4 years ago Anyone who received an acceptance letter from the following German universities: University of Mannheim, Potsdam, LMU, Munster,
I was admitted to SFSU, UTA, NJIT, and LMU four years ago. I am confused which one to opt. Can anyone please help me wit.
5 years ago Will the LMU Munich or TUM Munich accept the TOEFL, and do these 2 universities require the GRE?
Number of campuses the university has 4
Campus locations Bavaria
- More than 20 festivals, including Das Unifest (LMU-TUM-HM), GARNIX, Rockavaria, Streetlife Festival and Corso Leopold, StuStaCulum, Tollwood Summer Festival, TUNIX, and Uni-Sommerfest, are held on the campus of LMU Munich.
- The LMU Munich campus’s own magazine, Funzel, also publishes articles in English.
- Students at LMU Munich can join a variety of clubs and organizations.
- The LMU Culture Bureau arranges a variety of entertaining events on campus, including dance performances and competitions.
On campus accommodation services are available at LMU Munich campus.
- The Munich Student Union facilitates housing on the campus of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
- The average monthly rent at on campus housing is 291. 90 EUR (23,000 INR).
- The utilities may cost around 400 EUR (32,000 INR)
- Additionally, students can look into private housing options offered by the Student Union.
- A private room will cost you roughly 800 EUR per month.
University Faculty:Student Ratio
At Munich’s Ludwig Maximilian University, the student-to-faculty ratio is 9:1. The male to female ratio of the university is 51:49. The university employs more than 3,600 academic staff members, including 700 professors.
University Endowments Value 801900000
Research opportunities at university
The LMU’s research institutes and centers are scattered throughout the areas of Munich, Garching, Maisach, Oberschleißheim, and Bad Tölz.
- Center for Integrated Protein Science Munich
- Graduate School of Systemic Neurosciences
- German Research Center for Environmental Health
- Nanosystems Initiative Munich
- Parmenides Center for the Study of Thinking
- Rachel Carson Center for Environment and Society
Internship opportunities (Part time job opportunities)
LMU Munich offers Erasmus + Internship programs. Erasmus offers unpaid internships for bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees that have been approved by the course supervisors. Additionally, LMU’s career office assists students in locating employment and internships in their fields.
Placement – Companies and average salaries offered
Graduates of the Ludwig Maximilian University in Munich make an average annual salary of 47,940 EUR (38,28,000 INR) to 1,64,708 EUR (13,14,000 INR).
1. The most popular courses at LMU Munich are philosophy, physics, and ancient and classical history.
2. What is the acceptance rate at LMU Munich? Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich acceptance rate is 12%
3. What are the tuition costs at LMU Munich? There are none for undergraduate courses at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
4. The cost of an MBA at Ludwig Maximilian University in Munich is 9550 EUR (7,62,501 INR).
5. LMU Munich is ranked among the top 30 universities in the world, so yes, it is recognized as a university.
Need Help! Get a FREE Profile
Consultation by our experts Email Phone No.
Want to discuss your goals?
Our experts are here to make it happen.
YOCKET TOOLS & SERVICES
Want to discuss your goals?
Our experts are here to make it happen.
Best Kept SECRET in College Admission Rates!
What’s the easiest German university to get admission to?
Heidelberg University, the University of Bonn, the University of Freiburg, and the University of Berlin are some of the most accessible German universities for applicants. 2. Which university in Germany has the most international students?.
What grades do you need to get into LMU Munich?
Students at the University of Munich LMU in Germany are required to keep a minimum GPA of 3. 4 to have a good chance of being admitted to the University of Munich LMU To increase their chances of admission, students must also take part in extracurricular activities like sports, community service, and leadership roles in projects.
How do I get into LMU Germany?
A school leaving certificate in conjunction with a certificate from a university entrance examination, a certificate from a one-year higher education course, or a university certificate, as applicable, is generally required for admission to universities.
Is it easy to get into German universities for Masters?
German admissions are highly competitive. Admissions give high preference to subject-matter experts with strong academic backgrounds, research backgrounds, or work experience. Because of this, students who achieve a high GRE score typically stand to benefit more than those who do not.