Humboldt State University Transfer Acceptance Rate

Founded in 1913, Humboldt State University is a public university. It is located in a rural area, has a total undergraduate enrollment of 5,869 (fall 2020), and has a 144-acre campus. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. Humboldt State University’s ranking in the 2022 edition of Best Colleges is Regional Universities West, #30. The cost of in-state tuition and fees is $7,870, while out-of-state costs are $16,124.

The Humboldt State University campus is situated in the Californian city of Arcata, surrounded by redwood trees and only a few miles from the Pacific coast. , about 275 miles north of San Francisco. The university, commonly referred to as HSU, offers close to 50 undergraduate degrees and about a dozen master’s programs that are divided among the colleges of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, Professional Studies, and Natural Resources and Sciences.

It should come as no surprise that HSU has a fantastic oceanography research facility, complete with a marine lab that is fully equipped and an oceanic vessel designed specifically for undergraduate study, given its proximity to the ocean and Arcata Bay. Additionally, HSU is home to more than 20 other research institutions, such as the Schatz Energy Research Center (SERC), where students look for clean, renewable energy solutions, and one that focuses on redwood forests.

Students can participate in more than 180 campus organizations or play for one of the 12 varsity sports teams known as the Humboldt State Jacks (short for lumberjacks), which compete in the NCAA Division II Great Northwest Athletic Conference. Among notable HSU graduates is Stephen Hillenburg, who majored in marine resource planning and used what he learned to produce the SpongeBob SquarePants cartoon series on Nickelodeon.


Before Starting First Year at Community College

  • Apply for Financial Aid
  • Classes can fill up quickly, so apply to the Community College as soon as you can for better access to courses.
  • Determine your living arrangements and your mode of transportation for getting to and from classes.
  • Make a personal budget
  • Attend orientation

Community College Semester 1 (approximately 0-30 units)

  • Meet with your California Community College (CCC) counselor and go over your objectives.
  • Create a major and course plan, also known as an academic plan or a student education plan (SEP).

Community College Semester 2 (approximately 16-30 units)

  • If you haven’t already, determine career and major interests
  • If you haven’t already, research 4-year colleges and transfer requirements
  • Meet again with CCC counselor and review SEP

Community College Semester 3 (approximately 31-45 units)

  • Connect with Admissions Departments at prospective colleges
  • Apply for transfer admission
  • Apply for Financial Aid
  • Attend college fairs
  • Meet with CCC counselors and review SEP

Community College Semester 4 (approximately 46-60+ units)

  • Complete final courses
  • Decide to enroll at a particular college (while declining to do so at others)
  • Order transcripts to have sent to prospective college

4 semester plan based on traditional full-time enrollment in an average of 15 units per semester

  • Register for courses after consulting with advisors; choosing courses at the community college without consulting an academic advisor or transfer counselor may result in taking courses that don’t transfer properly.
  • View the universities’ admissions requirements far in advance. This will enable you to plan ahead, which will help you to save time and money.
  • To find out the GPA and/or course completion requirements at the 4-year colleges you’re interested in, view the impaction status (Impaction at the CSU). The requirements might be campus-wide or major-specific. A minimum GPA, obtaining an ADT (Associate Degree for Transfer Major) or TAG (Transfer Admission Guarantee), or finishing particular courses may be required. (Note: The term “impact” refers to a situation in which there are more qualified applicants than there is room for. Campuses may use additional criteria to decide who will be admitted, either to the university or to a major program. ).
  • Both the University of California (UC) and the California State University (CSU) uphold transfer agreements with the California Community Colleges. As a result, students can finish courses and earn degrees at their community college that will transfer to their 4-year institution. To plan and enroll in the appropriate courses at your community college, view these early.
  • With the assistance of a counselor at your community college, create a student education plan (SEP). This document provides a roadmap for achieving your stated objectives. This should be revisited each semester and adjusted as needed.

Other useful links:

  • Check out Humboldt’slibrary of financial aid & scholarship resources:
  • Calculate your options for financing your education to determine which will be most advantageous for you in the long run. Calculate the total cost of your education, for instance, if you enroll in more classes and choose not to work. You might graduate sooner and end up with less debt.
  • Consult a financial education specialist to see if loans are an option.
  • Community colleges and 4-year universities may offer different financial aid packages, requirements, and distribution methods. Learn the distinctions so you can be ready and make wise decisions.
  • Before enrolling in a 4-year college, fill out the FAFSA as early as October. Although the deadline for this application is March 2, the better your aid package will be the earlier you apply. This should be done each academic year.
  • The majority of scholarships demand that applicants submit a FAFSA Financial Aid application. You should still apply even if you don’t think you’re eligible for financial aid because you never know if you might be eligible for future scholarships.

Other useful links:

  • Identify the 4-year institution you want to transfer to and meet with the admissions counselors there to introduce yourself. They could offer you suggestions on how to get the most out of your community college experience.
  • Visit Assist. org and Transferology. com to view how your community college courses will transfer. To aid in your planning, you should also find out if your community college has a transfer center. If so, utilize their services and resources. Some will have staff members who can help you and literature from numerous universities.
  • Spend some time learning about potential colleges, the majors they offer, and the admissions requirements. Discover which universities offer programs that support your interest once you’ve decided on your major and/or career. Investigate the majors they offer if your goals are driven by the college you want to attend in order to adequately prepare. Not all colleges offer the same majors.
  • Attend college visits, fairs, and workshops. This typically takes place in the fall. Schedule a meeting with a visiting admissions counselor to find out if you’re on track to transfer and what requirements you need to fulfill. Research the college beforehand, and bring any questions you have to the event.
  • Make a list of criteria before choosing which college to attend.
  • The acceptance of lower-division transfer students (those with less than 60 earned units) varies between universities. Connect with each respective college to determine their process.

Other useful links:

If you are interested in transferring to the University of California utilize the UC Transfer Admission Planner (UC TAP) in planning your pathway to qualify.

Connecting & Support Resources

  • Visit your community college counselors early and often. Find a therapist who can help you achieve your goals. Continue working with the same therapist if you can so that they are familiar with your objectives and specific situation.
  • Get involved by joining clubs or participating in volunteer opportunities that support your professional and personal objectives.
  • Most community college campuses have a variety of support resources. Look at all the resources available to you on campus; they are there to assist you in overcoming obstacles and achieving success. Services like TRIO, EOPS, Disability Student Services, or Veterans’ Services may fall under this category. These programs often provide academic counseling and additional support.

Applications, Transcripts, and Acceptance

  • Look at the 4-year campus’s enrollment procedures before enrolling. Visit Cal Poly Humboldt’s Steps to Enrollment for a sample.
  • Most fall admission applications are due the previous November 30. Even if you still have courses in progress, the majority of spring admission applications are due in the previous summer or early fall. Visit the admissions pages of the universities you’re interested in to learn more about their specific application deadlines and make appropriate plans.
  • You will need official transcripts (your academic record) to prove you’ve finished the courses. Most universities will request an in-progress transcript shortly after you submit your application, which shows your completed, ongoing, and planned courses for your final semester, in addition to the final, official transcript once your final semester’s grades are posted. The process for requesting these varies by community college, but many organizations allow you to do it online through your student portal. Check with your community college admissions and records offices.
  • After being accepted, you must formally accept your admission. Fall admission typically begins on May 1 for CSU and June 1 for UC. Check each institution’s admissions webpage as well as any individual communications sent to you for their specific spring admission acceptance dates.

Useful Links:

California State University application for all 23 campuses: University of California application for all 9 campuses: application for most private colleges:

Successful Transition to your 4-year College Campus

  • Make an early contact with your academic advisor. Meet regularly.
  • Find out about clubs, activities and resources.
  • Attend events and activities.
  • Apply to any assistance programs for which you are eligible, such as EOP, Veterans’ Services, Disability Student Service, or Transfer and Transition Programs. Utilize these resources early and often.

College Transfer Tips: Best Bets and Worst Bets for Transfer Admissions!


What university has the highest transfer acceptance rate?

Schools With Favorable Transfer Admission Rates
Rank School Transfer Accept %
1 Emory 33.7
2 Vanderbilt 17.6
3 UNC 46.9
4 Georgia Tech 40.7

What GPA do you need to transfer to UD?

Most areas of study prefer a 2. 5 or higher grade point average for admission. After completing the regular admissions process, transfer students will be considered for admission. Both the Common Application and the University of Dayton’s online application are accepted from applicants for transfer admission.

How hard is it to get into Humboldt State University?

The acceptance rate at Humboldt State University is 75. 1%. For every 100 applicants, 75 are admitted. This means the school is lightly selective. The school will have its anticipated GPA and SAT/ACT score requirements. You almost certainly will receive an offer of admission if you meet their requirements.

Does Humboldt accept lower division transfers?

ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS. To be eligible for regular admission as a transfer student, you must first determine whether you are a lower or upper division transfer student. CAL POLY HUMBOLDT ACCEPTS BOTH LOWER DIVISION AND UPPER DIVISION TRANSFER STUDENTS.

What GPA do you need to get into Humboldt?

Applicants that have a grade point average of 3. 61 are not required to submit test results, but the SAT or ACT are strongly recommended for all applicants. The minimum GPA to qualify for admission is a 2. 45.

Is it hard to get into Cal Poly Humboldt?

Cal Poly Humboldt is a somewhat selective institution, so how difficult is it to get in? The Cal Poly Humboldt acceptance rate is 91%. This indicates that 91 out of every 100 applicants are accepted by the school.

Leave a Comment