Please be aware that applications for the Bachelor Program are only taken into account for Year 1 admission. Transfer students are not permitted to enroll in Years 2 and 3 of the Program.
Students are selected using a holistic approach to admissions. The Admissions Committee considers not only academics (i. e. high levels of achievement in mathematics and science in high school, as well as non-academic factors We honor exceptional, consistent performance in any field of intellectual or artistic endeavor; success in extracurricular activities like performing arts or sports; scientific competitions; internships; leadership in your school or community; volunteering, etc.
The Bachelor Program at École Polytechnique is intended for exceptional students with very high potential who are capable of adhering to a rigorous and comprehensive curriculum.
Applicants to the bachelor’s program at École Polytechnique must also fulfill the following requirements in addition to the general admission requirements:
Candidates must provide evidence of their superior English language proficiency in the form of a certificate issued by an international body. The following Cambridge English tests are accepted: Advanced (CAE) and Proficiency (CPT) The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and the Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) When beginning the bachelor’s program, the test result should be no older than two years.
On their online application form, candidates must upload a copy of their IELTS, TOEFL iBT, or Cambridge test results. Test results from the English language certification organization that are submitted directly in electronic format are not accepted.
You may still apply to the Program even if you haven’t gotten your test results yet when completing your online application. Please be aware, though, that obtaining one of the aforementioned English language certifications at the necessary level will be a requirement for any admission offer.
Candidates who are native English speakers or those who completed a high school diploma or a course of higher education taught entirely in English for at least the two years prior to their entry into the Program may be exempt from providing such English-level certification. The Admission Committee retains the right to deny requests for exemptions, and it will make its decision clear during the admissions process.
Acceptance rate & Admissions
|Admissions Requirements||Ingénieur Polytechnicien curriculum: Competitive entrance examination following 2-3 yrs university level studies in Sciences after secondary school certificate (baccalauréat), or equivalent. Master of Science: Students must hold a Bachelors degree; PhD programme: students must hold a Master of Science by Research degree and obtain prior approval of a thesis director and of the director of host laboratory|
|Academic Calendar||September to July|
|Full time employee||1,750|
by publication & citation count
Annual publication & citation counts
|Local studetns||Ingénieur Polytechnicien Program in 2019: EU students: 19,000 for 3 years. Non-EU students: €38,000 for 3 years (EUR)|
Polytechnic School has financial aid programs and on-campus housing.
|Diplôme dIngénieur||Artificial Intelligence, Biology, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering|
|Master||Artificial Intelligence, Biology, Computer Science, Economics, Energy Engineering, Environmental Management, Environmental Studies, Finance, Mathematics, Urban Studies|
- Bernard Arnault Born in France Years 1949-. Bernard Jean Étienne Arnault is a French business tycoon, investor, and art collector (age 74). His occupations include entrepreneur, businessperson, engineer, and art collector. He is the chairman and CEO of the largest luxury goods company in the world, LVMH Mot Hennessy – Louis Vuitton SE. With an estimated net worth of US $160 billion, Arnault is the third-richest person in the world as of May 2022 and the richest person from Europe, according to Forbes.
- Carlos Ghosn Born in Brazil Years 1954-. (age 69) Occupations entrepreneurengineerbusiness executivewriter Bio Carlos Ghosn is a Lebanese businessman of Brazilian descent. Ghosn also holds French nationality. As of January 2020, he is an internationally wanted fugitive. Ghosn served as the president and chief executive officer of Nissan, the chairman and CEO of Renault, the chairman of AvtoVAZ, and the chairman of Mitsubishi Motors. Additionally, Ghosn served as the chairman and CEO of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance, a complex cross-shareholding agreement that brought together these three automakers in a strategic partnership. The venture has held approximately 10% of the total market share since 2010, and as of 2017, was understood to be the largest automobile group worldwide
- Biography of Valéry Giscard dEstaing Valéry René Marie Georges Giscard dEstaing, also known as Giscard or VGE, was a French politician who presided over France from 1974 to 1981. He was born in Germany and lived from 1926 to 2020 (at age 94).
- The trial and conviction of Alfred Dreyfus, a French artillery officer of Jewish ancestry in 1894 on treason charges, became one of the most divisive political dramas in contemporary French history. Dreyfus was born in France in the years 1859–1935 (aged 76). The incident is remembered in history as the Dreyfus affair, and its effects were felt across Europe. It ultimately ended with Dreyfuss complete exoneration.
|Alternative names||LX École Polytechnique|
|Accreditation||Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation|
|Motto||Pour la Patrie, les Sciences et la Gloire For the Homeland, Science and Glory|
|Affiliations and memberships||Eurotech Universities Grandes Écoles de la Défense Conférence des Grandes Écoles|
|Address||Route de Saclay Palaiseau, Ile-de-France, 91128 France|
|Phone||+33 (0)1 69 33 33 33|
|Fax||+33 (0)1 69 33 30 53|
Polytechnic School in Social Media
Same level universities in France
EduRank. A ranking of 14,131 universities from 183 countries using independent metrics is available at org. To rank universities across 246 research topics, we use a proprietary database with an index of 44,909,300 scientific publications and 1,237,541,960 citations. We include non-academic prominence and alumni popularity indicators in the overall rankings. Always check official university websites for the latest enrollment information.
Bachelor of Science: Admissions Criteria
Is École Polytechnique prestigious?
Leading French institution École Polytechnique, also known as l’X, combines top-tier research, academics, and innovation at the cutting edge of science and technology.
What is École Polytechnique known for?
With a rich history spanning more than 225 years and being founded in 1794, École Polytechnique is France’s premier institution of excellence in science and technology. Students can choose from a variety of academic programs at École Polytechnique, ranging from undergraduate studies to executive education.
Is École Polytechnique a grande ecole?
École polytechnique is a grande école university in Palaiseau, France. It is also known as Polytechnique or l’X [liks]. It is a founding member of the Polytechnic Institute of Paris and focuses on science and engineering.
How do I get into Polytechnique?
- have an overall strong academic average.
- take at least one advanced science course along with advanced mathematics courses.
- possess a level of English (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages C1) necessary to successfully complete this program.