Please use a supported browser to enjoy the best possible user experience. Here are a few we recommend:
Update my information Admissions officers are waiting to hear from you if you are interested in the Program in Strategic Communications at Columbia University.
Program in Strategic Communications is a program that is offered in the city of New York, New York.
New Part-Time Hybrid M.S. Available Beginning in Fall 2022, the part-time Master’s degree in Strategic Communication is moving to a primarily-online format for working professionals based in or outside of the New York City area.
The challenges of business’s nonstop communications necessitate a higher level of strategic thinking. With a Master of Science in Strategic Communication from Columbia University, you can meet this need. Graduates develop all the skills and abilities necessary for a prosperous career in a variety of communication fields. The majority of students finish the program in 16 months, with or without a summer “Practicum,” or graduate-level internship, at Columbia University’s New York City campus. There is also an accelerated 12-month degree option, but it does not allow for an internship.
In This Full-Time Master’s Program, You Will…
- Learn the communication abilities that employers value most, such as the organizational mindset, strategic approaches, and analytical frameworks you’ll need to advance in your career.
- Learn how to use communication strategy to influence or support organizational results at the highest levels.
- Acquire the self-assurance and expertise necessary to become a change agent for your company and the world.
- Using sophisticated analytical abilities, stakeholder analysis, storytelling expertise, research tool design and evaluation, and digital strategy, create effective communication strategies.
- Gain access to elective courses in additional School of Professional Studies programs and other areas of Columbia, allowing you to tailor your course of study to your interests and goals.
- have many opportunities for learning outside of the classroom, such as supplementary workshops and seminars like the Strategic Communication Speaker Series
- a comprehensive capstone project that involves a real organization, real research, real recommendations, and a presentation to the organization’s top executives
- An innovative curriculum that combines the most recent topics in the field with academically rigorous foundational work
- a prestigious faculty of academics and professionals who are experts in their fields
- An individualized academic experience that is high touch, personal, and small class size.
- access to a community of knowledgeable faculty, staff, alumni, and business professionals
- Networking opportunities with senior industry executives and potential employers.
- Gaining access to Columbia’s tools, career advice, worldwide alumni network, and being in the global communications hub of New York City
- Real-world experience is gained through a graduate-level practicum that is optional for full-time students and gives you the chance to use your communication skills while building your network of contacts, your resume, and your competitive edge.
No matter the applicant’s level of experience, an excellent undergraduate academic record is necessary for admission. Strong candidates are analytical writers who can think critically and have a bachelor’s degree in a subject that calls for those abilities.
Most applicants for the full-time program option have at least 1-2 years of work experience in a communications role or are switching careers. Successful candidates with less than two years of full-time work experience have extensive relevant internship experience.
Featured Students, Alumni, & Faculty
Visit the Columbia University School of Professional Studies to learn more about strategic communication, or get in touch with the program admissions representative.
We advise you to apply as soon as possible because there is fierce competition for admission to our programs. Learn more about the application process, deadlines, and requirements.
The Compelling Communicator: A Strategic Communication Course
How hard is it to get into Columbia SPS?
Columbia is a highly selective school. One of the lowest acceptance rates in the nation is at Columbia; in 2021, it was 3 9%, tied with Stanford. The acceptance rate for Columbia Early Decision for the class of 2026 was 10. 3%. 6,305 applicants applied for Columbia Early Decision.
Is Columbia SPS reputable?
College Choice also ranked it #1 amongst the Best Master’s Program in Construction Management. In 2021, the School’s Sustainability Management master’s program was named #2 in the United States on Great Business Schools’ list of the best Environmental & Sustainability Management Master’s Programs.
Is Columbia SPS Ivy League?
Private Ivy League research university Columbia University is located in New York City.
How long does it take to hear back from Columbia SPS?
Please give at least 6-8 weeks for the release of your admissions decision after your application is deemed complete and contains all necessary application materials. To learn more about the decision release dates, please visit the website for your particular program, as these are subject to change.
Is Columbia SPS part of Columbia University?
The School of Professional Studies, one of the seventeen prestigious institutions connected to Columbia University, is extending the impact and reach of an Ivy League education to enable more students to advance their education and careers.
What can I do with a masters in strategic communications?
With a strategic communication bachelor’s or master’s degree, one could work in public relations, digital and online media, politics, corporate consulting, lobbying and social advocacy, government and nonprofit, healthcare, marketing and advertising research, or higher education, to name just a few.