More College Profiles:
|College of Fine Arts||700-740||730-780||34-35||30-34||33-34|
|Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences||740-770||790-800||35-36||34-35||34-35|
|Mellon College of Science||740-770||800||35-36||35-36||35-36|
|School of Computer Science||770-780||800||35-36||36||35-36|
|Tepper School of Business||730-760||790-800||35-36||35||34-35|
|Intercollege Degree Programs||750-770||780-800||35-36||34-35||35|
And the competition they had to overcome to get there was as follows:
|Colleges/Programs||Applications||First-Choice Applicants||Acceptance Rate|
|College of Fine Arts School of Architecture||500||443||34%|
|College of Fine Arts School of Art||740||531||23%|
|College of Fine Arts School of Design||683||466||11%|
|College of Fine Arts School of Drama||2,798||2097||4%|
|College of Fine Arts School of Music||812||470||31%|
|Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences||5,724||3,063||26%|
|Mellon College of Science||6614||3,724||22%|
|School of Computer Science||8,329||6,681||7%|
|Tepper School of Business||3,295||2,047||23%|
|Intercollege Degree Programs||1,041||953||7%|
- See CMU’s comprehensive admissions report for more information on demographics, academic profiles, and student outcomes.
The numbers are daunting to say the least. But they don’t always give the full picture. Additionally, they are an example of larger global trends in education that are beyond the control of any one person. Because of this, it’s more beneficial to first comprehend these figures in their proper context before using your time to concentrate on crafting your own unique application as effectively as you can.
Why was there such a big increase in applications?
Most prestigious American colleges and universities saw a trend in the increase in application numbers. The decision by many elite institutions, including CMU, to eliminate the requirement for applicants to take standardized tests as a result of COVID, is the most straightforward explanation for this phenomenon. It makes sense that more students felt they would be eligible for admission to the university as a result of this change.
Beyond that, more students than usual who were admitted in the previous cycle deferred their enrollment, leaving fewer seats in the Class of 2025. Some students who’d applied the previous year even decided not to matriculate to any university, given the pandemic. Instead, they chose to take a gap year and reapply to their dream schools. Finally, students are continuing to apply to more and more schools, as evidenced by the 11% increase in applications submitted through the Common App despite an increase of only 2% in the total number of applicants (a trend reflected also in the UC application system).
The number of applications to prestigious universities like CMU has increased dramatically as a result of a number of factors, including those mentioned above.
What do you need to apply to Carnegie Mellon?
In order to apply to CMU, you will need to complete the Common Application, which includes three short-answer essay questions for the Carnegie Mellon Writing Supplement. The university has decided to continue its test-optional policy for the 2022-2023 cycle, but the admissions department makes explicit note that they will factor your scores into their decision if you choose to submit them. And given their averages, you will need to submit very strong scores indeed to make this worth your while.
By November 1st, you can apply in the Early Decision 1 binding application program if you are committed to attending CMU as your first choice university. Additionally, Carnegie Mellon has a January 3 Early Decision 2 deadline. It’s important to keep in mind that you might not be qualified for these Early Decision application programs if you’re applying to certain programs, especially those in the performing arts. You must submit your application by the university’s one Regular Decision deadline, which is also January 3, in this situation or if you prefer not to be bound by CMU.
You must send the following items along with your completed Common Application for CMU:
- The fully filled in Common Application form
- The three brief essays that make up the Carnegie Mellon Writing Supplement
- Your official high school transcript
- One teacher recommendation
- Secondary school counselor recommendation
- The Common Application essay
- The Common Application Mid Year Report, including any updated grades you may have.
- Official score reports (optional for 2022-2023)
- If you are a non-native speaker and have not been studying in English, you should take an English language test.
- A $75 application fee
- You must submit a supplemental portfolio to be considered for admission if you are applying to the School of Drama, Music, Art, Architecture, or Design or if you were home-schooled.
For more detailed information, especially on special program-specific requirements, check out CMU’s comprehensive page on Undergraduate Admission Requirements and make sure that you are fully prepared to submit your application to the program of your choice.
What is Carnegie Mellon looking for?
Students who genuinely want to attend Carnegie Mellon should apply. What does this mean, though? Don’t all schools want this?.
Yes, but CMU has a particular position. They compete with institutions in Boston and the San Francisco Bay despite not being in a location that is highly sought-after. Many students don’t have a chance to visit campus. Many applicants apply because they are aware of the STEM opportunities or other opportunities, but they do not have a clear reason for choosing CMU over another institution of a similar caliber.
Therefore, even though CMU is especially interested in finding students who value collaboration and intellectual eccentricity, they are also reviewing each application for strong indicators of Fit. And according to them, a student’s fit is determined not only by their character but also by how well they comprehend the potential impact they can have at CMU and how the university will assist them in achieving their post-graduation goals.
Investigate the school’s opportunities in-depth to increase your chances of admission. Take a look at where CMU is allocating its funding for projects, labs, and new faculty hires. Speak to current students about life in Pittsburgh. Envision yourself in a rapidly rebounding Rust Belt city. Check out the university’s news articles, YouTube videos, and social media posts. Then, relate every fascinating detail to your own goals, ideals, or skills.
CMU values demonstrated interest highly, and puts emphasis on recommendation letters. That said, though the university gives the option to submit three recommendation letters, the committee will only take two of these into consideration in their review. For more details on how CMu assesses applications, check out the university’s page on Admissions Consideration.
Whatever your particular stance, demonstrate that while on campus you will be proactive in starting new projects with new partners. Whether they are majoring in business, engineering, design, drama, or something else entirely, CMU looks for students who have a strong desire to work with their peers to find answers to important questions or solutions to pressing issues.
How can you get into Carnegie Mellon?
A top high school student can apply to CMU in a variety of ways to increase their chances of being accepted. The particular choices of what to emphasize and how to make it memorable come down to personal life experiences and situations that have molded you into the person you are today. The storytelling component of the application, which is a crucial component, can only be created through careful reflection and diligent effort.
However, there are definitely choices you can make to put yourself in a position to submit a profile that supports your personal narrative and earns you top marks on a number of CMU’s requirements:
- Make a plan in advance to enroll in the most difficult courses your school (and others) has to offer.
- Showcase your skills or interests by developing them and utilizing them to engage with other communities.
- Follow well-known cultural institutions on social media, sign up for mailing lists about neighborhood events, watch YouTube vloggers who chronicle their experiences in the city, and more to really get to know Pittsburgh and the CMU culture.
- To demonstrate to the university that you are being deliberate in your decision and that you are very likely to accept an offer of admission, think about how a suburban campus environment will work best for you as a learner and person.
- Look into the facilities, initiatives, activities, and customs that CMU proudly supports; if you can, talk to current students about these encounters.
- Challenge yourself intellectually, professionally, and socially in demonstrable ways.
- Practice telling adults about yourself and your interests. Pay attention to any confusion or excitement they may express, and use this information as implicit feedback to make your storytelling better.
- Spend a lot of time writing and editing your supplemental essays to make them as interesting and memorable as you can. Conduct extensive research and carefully consider which of your communities has most influenced you.
- Explore your academic interests outside of the classroom, ideally through research or other projects that demonstrate your struggle with challenging issues.
- Make contact with CMU admissions officers who are in your community or at your school, and ask them pertinent, detailed questions about how your personal profile aligns with the university.
- Seek to understand problems in your community and the world. Be proactive in formulating solutions that are ambitious but achievable. After that, work toward putting these solutions into action in a way that incorporates cutting-edge science and technology.
You’ll put yourself in a position to submit an application that will impress the CMU Admissions Committee if you’re able to show your connection to Carnegie Mellon’s distinctive offerings, achieve an outstanding GPA in the most challenging classes, engage meaningfully with personal interests and community issues, and take charge of your own goals by acting on your principles. None of this is simple, but if you have a strong desire to attend Carnegie Mellon, use all of the strategies we’ve listed above to demonstrate that desire.
What are your chances of getting into Carnegie Mellon?
To get personalized feedback on your chances of getting into college, use our innovative college admissions calculator.
Or contact us directly to get a conversation going.
How To Get Admission In Carnegie Mellon University MS In CS (2019) | MS in US
Is it hard to get into Carnegie Mellon Masters?
There is fierce competition for admission to Carnegie Mellon, and there are many more qualified candidates than there are open positions. Overall, only a few percent of applicants are admitted.
What GPA do you need to get into Carnegie Mellon graduate school?
A GPA of 3. 0 or higher. (Students should report their unconverted, unprocessed university GPA scores.) Please refrain from converting your international score to a US GPA or other system, such as a weighted GPA. GRE scores: GRE is required.
Does CMU require GRE for Masters?
ADMISSIONS Requirements Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are highly recommended. Please provide a brief explanation in your application if you are unable to do so. For applicants who attended or graduated from Carnegie Mellon University, GRE scores are not required.
Is Carnegie Mellon a good graduate school?
U. S. News