More Graduate Research Fellowships were given to UC Berkeley students by the National Science Foundation than to students at any other university (MIT was second, Stanford third, and Harvard fourth).
For Electrical and Computer Science admissions are very competitive. Most successful applicants last year had GPAs above 3. 7 and GRE quantitative scores above 90%. Many successful Computer Science applicants took the GRE Computer Science Subject test and scored above 90% For Fall 2010, we received about 3000 applications for only about 100 spots.
The majority of last year’s successful applicants for mechanical engineering had GPAs above 3. 7 and GRE quantitative scores above 90%. There were about 940 applicants for the roughly 75 admission slots for the Fall 2010 semester.
Civil and Environmental Engineering: There is no required minimum, but the typical GRE verbal and quantitative scores are 150 and 160, respectively. ) and 4+ (Writing).
Application deadlines and must-do’s
NOTE: CEE department no longer requires, nor accepts, the GRE.
As soon as the deadlines for the particular admissions cycle have been established, this section will be updated with specific dates.
- CEE only accepts online applications. CEE does not accept applications for the spring semester.
- The application becomes available in September. The application deadline for the academic year 2023–24 is December 15, 2022, at 20:59 PST. (Note: For the MS and PhD programs, transcripts and letters of recommendation will still be accepted for two weeks after the application deadline, but we cannot guarantee that they will be considered in the application review.) ).
- The application deadline for the concurrent degree program in CEE and Public Policy (MPP) is December 1, 2022.
- The Departments of Architecture and the School of Public Policy do not require the GRE general exam for their joint program applications. The GRE is requested by public policy, but it is not necessary.
- Application fee waivers are available. Go to the Graduate Admissions website’s section on requesting an application fee waiver for more details on eligibility requirements.
- All applicants must fulfill both the CEE Minimum Admission Requirements (listed below) and the UC Berkeley Graduate Division Admission Requirements.
- The prerequisites for each of the seven CEE programs are different; for more details, see each program’s graduate requirements.
- Programs will only take into consideration candidates with a second academic or professional master’s degree if the second degree is in a completely unrelated field, such as one other than engineering.
- Read the CEE application instructions completely.
- See Frequently Asked Questions.
CEE minimum admission requirements
- A bachelors degree from an accredited institution or recognized equivalent.
- Sufficient undergraduate education for graduate work in your chosen field.
- A satisfactory grade point average (GPA) of at least 3 is required. 0 (B) for application consideration.
- CEE department no longer requires, nor accepts, the GRE.
- The University’s English Language Proficiency requirement for international applicants is a minimum score of 90/120 iBT (230 CBT, 570 PBT) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), taken within the last two years.
- Prerequisite courses and/or additional admission requirements are needed for the Transportation Engineering program and the Environmental Engineering program. For more information, see Graduate Requirements under Environmental Engineering and Transportation Engineering.
Admissions for California State University applicants to MS program
Graduates of California State Universities are encouraged to apply, especially first-generation, low-income students, women, and underrepresented minorities.
CSU applicants will not be charged an application fee for the MS degree program. *.
For details on the MS program, costs, and applications
* CSU applicants must pay the application fee; they will later receive a refund.
Admissions for non-engineering majors
You are welcome to apply to CEE for admission to a program of study emphasizing one of the many opportunities to combine a science field you have studied with a specific discipline in CEE if you are a graduate in a field other than engineering. Check the Graduate Requirements for the Program you have chosen to see if you have met the requirements for admission.
- International Applicants in Admission Requirements. For those who obtained their undergraduate degree from a university outside of the US, or who are in the process of doing so
- All applicants (including US citizens) who earned their undergraduate degree at a university or college in a nation where English is not the official language must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language. Cases where the applicant is EXEMPT from taking the exam include: possessing a foundational degree from a reputable institution in a nation where English is the official language. possess a basic or advanced degree from a school that offers English-language instruction both domestically and abroad, and that is recognized by one of the United States’ regional accrediting* organizations. possess at least one year of full-time academic course work at a regionally accredited* institution within the United States, with a grade B or better.
- A minimum TOEFL score of 570 on the paper-based test, 230 on the computer-based test (CBT), or 90/120 on the internet-based test (iBT) is required by UC Berkeley for graduate admission. Your MOST RECENT score must meet this minimum. There are no exceptions to this minimum requirement, so applicants whose most recent score falls below it will not be admitted.
See Evidence of English Language Proficiency (Graduate Division) for more information on TOEFL.
- IELTS scores may be entered into the online application, but the department must also receive an official paper score report. Send to: Civil and Environmental Engineering Graduate Admissions, 750 Davis Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720-1710.
Admission to PhD by continuing students
Your application for admission to the doctoral program must be submitted to the Academic Affairs Office by the end of the second week of classes in the semester you intend to finish your master’s degree if you are a continuing student.
It is not automatic to move from the masters program to the doctoral program. It is crucial to have a high grade point average if you are a master’s level student planning to pursue a doctorate (3 5 and above) in the basic courses. However, a grade point average exceeding 3. 5 does not automatically ensure admission. Decisions are based on an assessment of the student’s overall academic performance and faculty endorsement.
Professional Degree Supplemental Tuition
The Civil and Environmental Engineering Department is implementing Professional Degree Supplemental Tuition as part of the MS degree beginning with the 2017–18 academic year. This will raise the cost of attendance by about $3375 for California residents and $6644 for non-residents on a per-semester basis. By investing in teaching assistants (also known as graduate student instructors, or GSIs), the proceeds from this program will increase the quality of instruction in MS courses, expand our MS curriculum offerings, provide career planning, networking, and other professional services, and improve space and facilities.